September 9, 2009
After seven active and busy years as the Managing Director of the Atlanta Technology Angels, I am stepping down from that position at ATA to become the Managing Partner of a family partnership, Keith-Massey Family Partnership, LLLP. Day to day operations of ATA have, as of this week, been taken over by Gordon Rogers, an active member and investor within the Atlanta Technology Angels group. However, my commitment to local, regional and national angel investing will stay strong as I will remain a member of ATA, will remain on the ATA Board of Directors and will remain on the BOD of the Angel Capital Association.
I am indebted to many folks, among them Sig Mosley, Melanie Leeth, Bill Henagan, Dan Pompilio, Meade Sutterfield, Steve Chaddick, Mike Dickerson, Mike Eckert, Clark Gilder and many, many others, all of whom helped patiently teach me the finer points of investing in young technology companies and working with other investors.
I am most proud of the 25 companies that the Atlanta Technology Angels investment group help found or fund during my watch over these seven years. Those include:
Asankya Oversight Tech
Calorie and Pulse Sentrinsic
Elf ISland SoloHealth
Fortel DTV SimpleC
Global Crypto TerraGo
GLobal Standard Financial Websingularity
Invistics Jacket Micro Devices
What did I learn?
- Relationships, above all, are the most important aspect of this type of investing. Good relationships last much longer than any investment.
- This type of investing is hard work. Writing a check is only the first step.
- Business cycles count.
- Believe in what you do. If you do, success will find you.
- Simplify your priorities and then focus on what is most important.
- Patience, patience, patience.
- Life goes on.
My contact information will stay the same. I look forward to seeing you soon.